WesTech Real Estate Academy
At WesTech, we consider our people to be our greatest asset. Our corporate culture values integrity, performance, responsibility, leadership, and diversity. As UBC Commerce graduates, WesTech’s principals proudly maintain a strong relationship with UBC’s Sauder School of Business Real Estate program, actively recruiting, training, and mentoring the program’s brightest individuals through the WesTech Paid Internship Program.
Why complete WesTech’s one or two-year paid internship?
– Fast-track your real estate career.
– Gain experience with real estate terminology and processes.
– Earn reasonable compensation and benefit packages.
– Enjoy greater opportunities than most entry-level positions.
– Meet your specific objectives according to your schedule.
– Build relationships with real estate participants including realtors, lenders, vendors, developers, mortgage brokers, planning departments, lawyers, accountants, and financial planners.
– Become familiar with industry-related software such as GIS systems, BC Assessment Online, MLXChange, and appraisal standard software.
Attributes emphasized by the WesTech internship program
– Communicating tactfully and efficiently while remaining open to diverse opinions.
– Effective written and verbal communication skills, including presentations and letter/report writing.
– Personal and professional integrity, strong work ethic, initiative, and the ability to meet tight timelines under pressure.
– Strong leadership and team-building qualities that foster positive communication and supportive learning environments.
Education during internship
Interns are expected to enroll in core courses, such as:
· BUSI 330 Foundations of Real Estate Appraisal
· CNAREA #99.9 Appraising the Single Family dwelling
· CNAREA #4.3A Sales Comparison Adjustment Method
· CNAREA #6.7 The Cost Approach for Residential Properties
WesTech provides a competitive salary base, expense allowances, and an attractive benefits package.
WesTech Appraisal Services Ltd. feels that the fresh ideas, new perspectives, and enthusiasm provided by our interns on our team are fundamental to our success. That’s why we have such pride in our internship program, which provides these recent graduates with the opportunity to gain invaluable hands-on experience and lay the foundation for building a successful career.
We are very proud of our interns. Below are just a few of our past UBC Graduates who have gone on to very successful careers in various sectors of the real estate community:
- Shawn Anderson – Top -producing Realtor – Rampf Anderson
- Brodie Hendrichson – Leasing Agent – North West Atlantic Canada
- Matthew Muir – Land Acquisitions – Polygon Homes
- Liam Brunner – Associate Partner – Real Estate at Deloitte Touche
- Paula Jarolim Wright – Corporate Development – Wesgroup Properties
- Brian Lightfoot – Negotiator Real Estate Service – City of Vancouver
- Goran Arevski – Land Acquisitions – Mosaic Homes
- Alicia Chung – Acquisitions at Park Lane Homes
- Ali Mirzaei – Senior Review Appraiser WesTech Appraisal Group
- John Allen – Leasing Agent – North West Atlantic Canada
Tsur Sommerville, Associate Professor
Real Estate Foundation Professorship in Real Estate Finance Director, UBC Centre for Urban Economics and Real Estate
“WesTech has been a great source of experience for many graduates from the Real Estate program. They have been involved for many years offering tremendous opportunities to our students through summer positions, internships, co-op program placements, and full-time positions after graduation.”